[bksvol-discuss] Re: header stripping

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:59:36 -0600

Kenneth,  if a file is corrupted all pages beyond a certain point will be
missing.  The book will need to be rescanned, at least from the corruption
point onward.
It is relatively rare to have a file corrupted by the Bookshare processor.
 One of the few cases I know was the recent Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.
 The Brf file was corrupted/truncated,  but the Daisy was complete.
I believe staff went back to the master file,  cleaned up the file at the
corruption point and recreated the record.

If a file is corrupted by the submitter or the reviewer,  the integrity
checks I have outlined should find the problem.  Naturally,  it is a good
idea to perform a final check for document completion just prior to final
post-review submission.  That is:  do all the edits you need and close the
file in its final format.  Transfer it to your PC if you have been using a
notetaker for editing. Now open the file on the PC, spot check it and
check that the document continues to its bitter end.  Leave the file open.
 Upload and complete the acceptance form.   Close the file.

Hope this helps.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
Research Division,
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

"Kenneth A. Cross" <crossk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/22/2004 01:21 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: header stripping

But what happens if there is a corrupted file; how will one know what
pages are missing if the page numbers have been stripped.