[bksvol-discuss] Re: Unsubscribing from the list

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:49:28 -0400

Dear Patti,

The only silly questions are the ones you want to know the answers to but don't
ask. On the volunteer page in that long list of links there's one called, the
step one page. Since it is numbered one, I  always concluded it must be where
volunteers began the submitting process. Ooops. It is where the books to
validate are listed and there are tons of them, so you'd probably find
something you liked. I think the policy is that if you don't finish the book
you download in a week, you renew it or put it back so someone with more time
can do the job and the book is added sooner.

I'm definitely renewing mine, but I hope to finish in my second week. I
carefully chose a straight forward fiction book with an excellent rating. It's
not the kind of fiction I usually read, but it's been fun. It's the story of
the coming of age, otherwise known as the summer a sixteen year old girl got
pregnant, of a teenager. The twist is that in the second section we read the
experiences of her mother when she was in her teens. I'm predicting the section
after that will be about the original girl's daughter as she confronts
womanhood. It's full of nostalgia, family dynamics and first times.

I use Outlook Express. I've got it set up, with the support of invaluable
advice, to sort certain groups of my e mail. I've put each of my groups in a
thing called Tree View Folders,. That way my group is routed to the correct
folder and so I can save my in box for personal and other important messages.
Now I've learned to create new folders if I need them and to delete the
obsolete ones.

If I want to read mail from this list I tab to that tree view and enter on the
folder I've called Bookshare Volunteers. To keep up and stay realistic, I've
deleted hundreds of messages from this group when I've been too busy to read
all of the posts. Actually, because of learning from the patient people on this
list and getting to know them on the conference calls, I read most of the
messages most of the time.

When I was getting mail from Harry Potter for Grownups, a fabulous group for us
adult fans, a Minimum of 200 new posts arrived every day. I'd visit my Harry
Potter folder, read posts and save the especially good ones until I was
saturated or figured I'd given that group enough time, and then I'd delete all
of the posts, knowing the folder would be full of new messages when I wanted to
analyze Harry Potter again. Finally I unsubscribed. I'll probably rejoin for a
while when the next movie is released to read about that huge group's
reactions.

The point is that all of my high traffic groups are easy to ignore, they don't
clog my in box and I don't get so swamped with messages that I miss the most
important ones.

Good luck, and I won't keep posting - smile - so you can unsubscribe in the
practical sense if not officially.

Always With Love,

Lissi