[bksvol-discuss] Re: OmniPage 17 Standard On Sale!

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 19:07:47 -0500

Hi, John!

What type of books to usually scan? As someone who scans a lot of fiction, some
cookbooks, and tons of children's books, I can tell you that the auto
recognition often misses tons of text. As a matter of fact, I will often check
the collection for books that Nichole has physical copies up before I pass them
on, and one of my biggest complaints is that they are often missing pages of
text because of irregular fonts or missing chapter titles because of unusual
presentation (like pictures around or made out of pictures or things that can
cause it to think it was a picture. A children's book I scanned today often
left off parts of words or enclosed words within a picture instead of
identifying them as text. I think that is part of our concern. However, if you
are doing textbooks or traditional nonfiction, that is much less likely to be
an issue.

Valerie