[bksvol-discuss] Another submission

  • From: "Deborah Murray" <blinkeeblink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:32:02 -0400

Hi all,

I've just submitted "The Bomb" by Howard Zinn.

It's been read through with errors corrected. All headers stripped; chapter
titles and page numbers present/protected; text formatted. A quick
read/proof--only 93 pages.
Sadly, this will be the last new book from a wonderful human being...

As an active WWII bombardier returning from the end of the war in Europe and
preparing for combat in Japan, Howard Zinn read the headline "Atomic Bomb
Dropped on Japan" and was glad-the war would be over.  "Like other
Americans," writes Zinn, "I had no idea what was going on at the higher
levels, and had no idea what that 'atomic bomb' had done to men, women,
children in Hiroshima, any more than I ever really understood what the bombs
I dropped on European cities were doing to human flesh and blood. " During
the war, Zinn had taken part in the aerial bombing of Royan, France, and in
1966, he went to Hiroshima, where he was invited to a "house of rest" where
survivors of the bombing gathered.  In this short and powerful book, the
backstory of the making and use of the bomb, Zinn offers his deep personal
reflections and political analysis of these events, and the profound
influence they had in transforming him from an order-taking combat soldier
to one of the greatest living anti-authoritarian, anti-war historians
writing today.  Zinn's committed lifetime of teaching and writing is based
in the belief that only by embracing the truth of history can ordinary
people, rethinking their roles, find the possibility for redemption and
change.  Publication in August commemorates the 65th anniversary of the
USA's two atomic bombings of Japan.  "

Deborah

database 5348 (20100806) __________

http://www.eset.com