[AR] Re: alcohols (was Re: Re: ADN Q?)

  • From: John Schilling <john.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 12:48:18 -0700

On 7/10/2019 4:20 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

The best of the ionic-liquid monoprops so far, AF-M315E, actually competes moderately well, *except* that it burns hot enough to chew up the usual sorts of catalysts, so ignition is a problem.  And it has a few issues of its own.  By the way, it's not something you can breathe or drink safely even though it almost certainly contains no methanol

Nit: I *think* you can "breath AF-M315E" safely in that you can't breath AF-M315E at all, it has essentially no vapor pressure, and the small percentage of volatiles that will come out of the mix are not the energetic parts and are reasonably harmless at STP equilibrium.  I don't want to swear to that, in part because as Henry notes the exact formula is proprietary and so I am deliberately not looking it up and going through the MSDS for everything.

That doesn't mean it's safe to have in your cabin.  If you manage to aerosolize it, which is probably not hard to do when it is stored in a pressurized manifold, getting the droplets in your lungs would be bad.  And I think I've mentioned before that the one time someone managed to spill a bunch of the stuff at the Cape, the improvised deconamination procedure they came up with before consulting the experts managed to chemically transform some of it to nitrogen tetroxide.  Big oops, there, and a reminder that whatever propellant you come up with you need to have a validated spill-cleanup procedure *before* you start even serious ground testing.

But if e.g. one of your astronauts manages to spritz AF-M315E all over his spacesuit while doing an EVA to repair a balky thruster, you probably don't have to lock him outside and leave him to die lest he kill everyone else when you let him back in the spaceship.

LMP-103S is a bit worse because it has some methanol and ammonia, though they really like to stay in solution and it's still leagues ahead of hydrazine and especially NTO.  You can still do ground testing and propellant loading with just splash protection and the aforementioned validated spill-cleanup procedure close at hand. But nothing that you can move a spaceship with is going to be something whose hazards you can wholly ignore on account of it being "green" or "safe".

        John Schilling
        john.schilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        (661) 718-0955