[AR] Re: Spinlaunch article

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 00:26:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, Terry McCreary wrote:

Unfortunately, it has the same weakness:  in return for severe size and structural constraints on the rocket, performance requirements are relaxed only a little bit -- probably not enough to eliminate one rocket stage.

*If* the claims are correct, the big advantage of the Spinlaunch is that it can be used several times a day rather than once a week or once a month.

Why can rockets, or rocket launch pads, be used only once a week or once a month? As I've noted before, a good V-2 launch crew (in a safe area with no worries about air attack) could launch once an hour. The original Zenit pads at Baikonur were built for a 90-minute launch cycle, thought to have been driven by a requirement for wartime rapid replenishment of constellations -- supports and umbilicals retract into protective housings as the rocket lifts off, erection/fueling/launch is largely automated, and there are armored hangars next to the pad for storing ready-to-fly Zenits.

And remember, launching something with a Spinlaunch *involves a rocket*. If you can prep rockets several times a day for use with a Spinlaunch, you can prep them several times a day for use without a Spinlaunch. As with Bull's guns, the fancy launch widget's upper stages are assumed to be new ultra-cheap rockets, but somehow nobody is allowed to use similar rocket technology to build all-rocket competitors.

(By the way, several times a *day*? If your launch system involves a massive investment in a capital-intensive launch widget that can orbit only quite small payloads, you want it to have a cycle time more like battleship guns, firing two or three times a *minute*.)

Rich Americans seem to be willing to spend large amounts of money for trivia. I'm pretty sure that there are enough stupid + rich people who would be willing to toss a million or so into their own personal satellite that does something absurd.

Bear in mind that if you're willing to accept a relatively small satellite and a secondary-payload launch, there are people who can do that for you today (if you wanted somebody competent with a track record of successful missions, it might cost you two or three million rather than one), without any magic new launchers. There may be a whimsat or two in the bunch, but not very many, so far.

Be a great way to get rid of a body so that, for all intents and purposes, it can't be found.:-) Then again, I suppose its trajectory would be known for some years to come, but in practice retrieval would be a challenge...

Launch licensing includes payload review -- I don't think you'll get that one past AST. :-)