[AR] Re: Spartan: Hovering hybrid

  • From: joesmith@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 09:50:18 -0400

Even Armadillo was able to hover.  Masten as well.

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 00:38:03 -0700, George Herbert  wrote:

      For some reason I jump straight to a single centerline hybrid
with cold nitrous gas attitude control, but each to their own...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone
On Oct 16, 2014, at 2:44 PM, "Troy Prideaux"  wrote:

  *

Jon,

  You’re thinking in liquid mode ie. LOX. You need to think monoprop
oxidizers eg. Nitrous or Peroxide. If you look at Nitrous:PE for
example, the performance for O:F ratios between 5:1 to 10:1 is pretty
much the same. The internal bond energy of the oxidizer provides a
significant portion of the propulsion energy.

  Saying that, I generally agree that typical hybrids aren’t suited
for this application although if your expertise is in hybrids and
you’re really comfortable with them…

Troy

..Because once you've done all the work to figure out how to do fire
and throttle valves, building another set with slightly different
characteristics is just too hard. Much easier to deal with a chamber
that changes geometry throughout the burn, and where you have no real
control over mixing efficiency.

I mean, cool if they can pull it off, but I've got to scratch my head
on why they'd do it that way. There *are* places where hybrids might
make sense, but I have a hard time believing a hovering vehicle is one
of them. Unless bobbing around like crazy in a semi-controlled fashion
is good enough.

Sorry if that came off overly negative, I just wonder about people's
design choices sometimes.

~Jon

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Mark C Spiegl  wrote:

I have no connection with these guys.

They're building an LLC type vehicle using hybrid rocket motors instead
of biprop.

http://www.spartanproject.eu

--MCS

.