[AR] Re: Spartan: Hovering hybrid

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 08:17:37 -0600

...Because once you've done all the work to figure out how to do fire and
throttle valves, building another set with slightly different
characteristics is just too hard. Much easier to deal with a chamber that
changes geometry throughout the burn, and where you have no real control
over mixing efficiency.

I mean, cool if they can pull it off, but I've got to scratch my head on
why they'd do it that way. There *are* places where hybrids might make
sense, but I have a hard time believing a hovering vehicle is one of them.
Unless bobbing around like crazy in a semi-controlled fashion is good
enough.

Sorry if that came off overly negative, I just wonder about people's design
choices sometimes.

~Jon