RE: disable recyclebin?

  • From: "Chitale, Hemant Krishnarao" <Hemant.Chitale@xxxxxx>
  • To: <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:27:33 +0800

>  I had one experience where recycle bin saved me a lot of work, so I
leave it on.

You were "lucky".   RECYCLEBIN   has no "GUARANTEE"d retention.
Table/Index segments in a Recyclebin may be auto-purged if the
tablespace is running low on free space.

So a developer who thinks "I don't need to worry about DROPs, I can
always get my table back" may find, 6 hours after dropping a table, that
he *cannot* get his table back.

(Conversely, the Note#  6977045.8 and Bug# 6977045 mean that sometimes
the auto-purge isn't quick enough, resulting in ORA-1652's in the middle
of a production batch !).

Hemant K Chitale