Re: Oracle Grid... ahem Cloud Control 12c

  • From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:47:58 -0700 (PDT)

I won't lie-  the 11g upgrade project and any chance of getting a new
production server for the EM, let alone getting to go to the 12c version came
from a combination of a directional change in the management team and the
business tired of seeing me sitting down in their office to tell them that we
were working around another bug, (it does pay off to whine a lot about how much
they would save in time and money to just let us upgrade instead of spend our
time on bugs...)  I'm an all Redhat environment, so no issue with platform
availability here...
I do monitor log and trace files through the EM and report errors.  We've never
had any issue with it in quite some time, but I do remember having to mess
around with the search criteria in the metrics a bit when I first upgraded to
10.2.0.5.

We also have a secondary database schema that has enhanced
notification/escalation, along with monitoring capabilities that supersedes the
built-ins of EM, utilized by our 10g EM.  Our DBA team, the four Oracle DBA's,
(I'm multi-platform, so I work in Oracle primarily, along with SQL Server and
then am the backup for the MySQL primary DBA, too...) are on-call during the
day, then weekday evenings and weekends are sent first to an on-call DBA
service, only escalating to us if the issue is not addressed after a certain
amount of time or if the severity demands it.  This secondary schema has the
complex code and rules to understand this over what we could find in the
built-in's for Enterprise Manager.  Considering the work and the knowledge that
is already in place for this code, we want to push the EM12c environment to use
this, too.  I'll keep my blog up to date on how that goes, (cross your fingers!)

I was able to sell the upgrade for mulitple reasons though-  I was hitting into
a number of bugs in the 10.2.0.5 version.  As the OMS's Apache would clear and
refresh sessions, it wouldn't be able to do so quickly enough and suffer
errors, causing folks to receive 404 errors in the browser pages.  Restarting
the OMS causes the java callback bugs/errors and initialization failures on the
first try, (2nd try is successful.)  This is just annoying.  The server the OMS
and EM reside on are quite old, so I'm going to upgrade, decommission, move my
Apex environment to the same db server that it interacts with for distributed
transactions anyway, allowing me to also eliminate one Oracle license ,which
will save the company a little bit of money, too! :)

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Sr. Database Administrator and Developer
DBAKevlar.com