RE: Maximum height of an Oracle B-tree index

  • From: "Powell, Mark D" <mark.powell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 10:39:52 -0500

>> Why isn't it good to rebuild an index when the height increases? The
formula for calculating I/O of an index is as follows  <<

Because the height of an index may be the direct result of the quantity of
data in the index.  Thus rebuilding the index may not reduce the height and
in this case the rebuild operation would be a waste of time and effort.
Better rebuild criteria are called for.