Re: Is RAC really HA on Linux

  • From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: evans036@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:06:09 +0200

Steve,
Using a SAN-based replication (i.e. copying all your changes on the SAN
synchronously to a remote DR site) might cost you too much bandwidth.

Further, considering whether RAC or any other solution is HA or not is
not an objective discussion. I'd rather take the requirements of the
company as a starting point. What do you consider as HA? What is the
Maximum time allowed for an unplanned outage? And what for a planned
outage, and how many of them are allowed?

The maximum availability scenario combines RAC and Data Guard (from the
point of view of Oracle). One of them might be enough for your
situation. That should be investigated first, one shouldn't jump into
technology as a panacee.

I've several customers running Data Guard alone as their HA solution.
Compared with the SAN replication they save quite some bandwith: In
stead of copying changed blocks (or even tracks, depending on the HW
brand), you're copying redo information. No database blocks, nor copied
archives need to go over your WAN/LAN, just the change vectors. You get
the ablilty to set delays in remote redo-applying (mind the info got
sent, just waits to get applied, giving you protection for logical
errors keeping the zero-data loss intact) and the ability to open the
standby R/O (again, redo keeps getting sent). When an outage of a couple
of minutes is affordable, DG might be more helpful than RAC. It will
cost you less most of the times.

Bottom line: figure out the requirements, investigate the disasters
you'd like to be protected from, what donwtime is allowed with each type
of disaster, budget, and possible solutions, before jumping into a
particular solution that might only cover a part of the requirements and
might exceed the budget without providing optimal protection.

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
===