Re: Batch and OLTP at the same time : Mission possible ?

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GUILLAUMIN Bert Ext ROSI/SI CLIENT <bguillaumin.ext@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Apr 2006 09:09:11 -0700
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:08:50 -0600

ref. the AskTom article
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:4343304784432
, I still wouldn't go entirely to a row-by-row approach, and I'm not
sure that is the way that TK's advice is meant to be read. Maybe a
hybrid solution of splitting up a load of 10,000 rows into multiple
mini-batches of 100 or 500 or 1,000 rows would be appropriate. Having
that number configurable would be a nice touch (you can then at least
try setting it to 1 or some other very low number -- you could even run
the same code at night using "10,000" or "100,000" as an input parameter)

Now my idea of record by record solution seems to be endorsed by Tom Kyte in 8i
(see
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:18066575999822505476::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8CRITERIA:4343304784432)

For him if you're in OLTP mode, you do things the OLTP way.

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l