[optacon-l] finger plate

  • From: "C. Pond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 13:02:25 -0400

Are people satisifed with the radius of curvature of the present finger plate,
not that we have anything with which to compare? Would people prefer a very
slightly wider finger plate, or perhaps one with slightly deeper concaveved
surface where the reading finger goes, or one with a different radius of
curvature?
I’m way behind in my e-mails, reinoud, and in everything, but yes to answer
at least one of your questions for now, I do have several displays. I’m now
going for finer and finer resolution and the fine tuning of what is already
good, but I feel could be even better. For just one instance, the waveform
simply propagates through the resonating coils, and this works just fine; the
user wouldn’t know the difference nor care. However, I believe I can improve
the tactuators’ design even more so and reduce power of over 300-plus
actuators (I call them tactuators) per display by optimizing the phase
relationship between the coils, rather than simply letting the waveform
propagate according to its native parameters.
Just one of another next step is to have machined (and that is being done) or
to have modified special side cutters to properly trim the tactile pins
according to the radius of curvature of the finger plate. The design of a
finger plate is not trivial. It has att least 8 clear functions for a
well-designed optacon, so until something automated is done, specially-shaped
cutters will serve better than standard albeit tiny side cutters.
So what do people think about the radius of curvature of our present finger
plates where our reading finger goes?

Thank you for feedback,
Charles

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to: