[optacon-l] Was: "Optacon List Archives" Now: Public Financing of Optacons and other Adaptive Technologies...

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 17:17:17 -0600

Ollie:

On the other hand, public funding helped spread the cost over more
manufactured units bringing the original US cost from $5,000, to $3,500, and
eventually to about $2,900.  High then, but perhaps we benefited from some
economies of scale with respect to some components used in the units.  And,
it enlarged the potential feed stock of units for those of us who are still
user's of a "dead/orphaned" technology...

From the Optacon in 1978, although I'd been using it from 1972, then, the
VersaBraille in 1982, I funded all my technology needs thereafter until 2010
after my first of 6 layoffs in 2008...  Certainly, I was careful about the
tools I purchased, and didn't dresser drawer them--only wore them out and
replaced them when their manufacturer's weren't there to service them...

In the US during the Great Depression they were reputed to have said
something like, "save: use it up or ware it out; make it do or do without."
(smile)  So, I'll keep using my Optacon, and my Angel-Bride Margie's, until
Richard Oehm can't repair them, then I'll just do the best I can pride
notwithstanding.  As an "ADMUP" (Aging Downwardly Mobile Urban Professional)
I don't expect the economy to turn around and take me with it for the rest
of my lifetime at 60...

Nick