[optacon-l] Re: Reinoud, how many coils and their relationship to the permanent magnet?

  • From: "C. Pond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 12:36:09 -0400

Well then, let the fault be mine for not communicating more clearly.
<chuckle> I have two fine, neodymium rod magnets, one above the other,
inside a stainless steel capsule, around which are wound two coils of
opposing flux. 300-series non-ferromagnetic stainless. The two rod magnets
have like poles facing each other so that if left alone they repel one
another. So far I'm using 32 gauge magnet wire for both coils. The lower
of these two rod magnets is stationary, and the upper magnet is free to
resonate between the two coils at between 200Hz and 300Hz according to the
waveform through the two coils. A sawtooth wave driving the two coils
"feels" best with a pulse width of somewhat greater-than 10%. One rod
magnet works fine as it is, but adding this second, lower, stationary magnet
makes the thing go into serious over-drive. The mentioned cube magnet was
just for experimentation, and is not used for the actuator. Remember that a
solenoid of whatever design is more efficient when it is fatter, rather than
longer, no matter how much longer.
How's that?

Charles