[optacon-l] Re: Reinoud, how many coils and their relationship to the permanent magnet?

  • From: reinoud <rrreinoud@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 23:33:37 +0100

Evening Charles,

The frame designs I have now actually support both coil configurations. In my
opinion there isn't all that much difference between these coil configurations.
Volumes and efficiencies are practically the same for reasonable dimensions,
and both can be packed at a similar pitch. As for manufacturing cost, for a
two-coil actuator the coil winding is a bit more complicated, for a one-coil
actuator the assembly is a bit more complicated. The most suitable
configuration will depend on frame design and available manufacturing options.

I use typical optimum coil size ratios, this leads to the most efficient coils,
also at these tiny dimensions (tested it).

To get a one-coil actuator to work, the moving magnet obviously has to be
positioned off-center inside the coil.

Do I understand correctly that your actuator centers the moving magnet by
design, when it's driven? If so, that's very neat, but then what is the use of
the second (stationary) magnet? I had assumed it would function as a spring.

- Reinoud

On 18/05/15 16:25, C. Pond wrote:

Reinoud:
Do you use one coil per actuator or two? If you use one coil, then what is
its size compared to the permanent magnet, or have I misunderstood your
design?
I’m using two coils in resonance, but I still have a sensse against
conventional experience and wisdom and education that but one coil need be
used. Still not sure, even though these two coils work fabulously.
I did try with one coil, but the magnet, as expected, stayed right in the
middle of the coil between the two poles. Each pole of the permanent magnet
was being held in place by the pole of the coil, and so the magnet, rather
than moving according to the AC waveform, stayed fixed in the middle of the
solenoid.
Thanks,
Charles

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to:

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to: