[optacon-l] Re: Questions about tactile displays and assistive devices for the blind

  • From: Bill English <english.family@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 18:38:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jim,

I have seen a site where the Japanese had a mouse sized device that did
everything the Optacon does.  Unfortunately, it did not arrive on the market as
expected.  One never knows what is truth or bluff on the internet, but I hope
it
was legit and is forthcoming.

Yes, the blind want more resolution to "read" graphs and pictures as well as
print.  That would mean more tactile stimulus points in the linear pathway.

I am leaning toward the forehead as a stimulus region. Aside from this area
being encompassed by the vegas nerve (meaning the signals would be processed
more intuitively as having autonomic functionality), a headband could hold the
tactile array in place.  Aside from this, a mini-cam could also be placed on
the
headband for hands free use during daily activities.  A tiny smart phone
processor could also be placed right in the headband, all powered by a pair of
9
volt rechargeable batteries.

The Optacon uses a 24 X 6 array matrix.  24 is necessary, but having 5 extra
tactile stimulators to the right of each of the 24 is redundant.  You could add
these extra 118 stimulators to the linear path, for a resolution that would be
groundbreaking.

I've been saying these things since 2002 and no one has taken serious notice
except the blind.  Developers might listen to what the blind wish to have, more
often.  They grasp concepts like these while sighted developers cast doubts
over
"feasibility outcome" issues.  Besides, they don't like pure linear delivery.
What's wrong with it?  It works fine with The vOICe.  Go to
seeingwithsound(dot)com for a demonstration of linear delivery.

I was going to use Optacon piezoelectric reeds, in fact already acquired many
for my prototype.  I since altered the design and am now using electric
cutaneous stimulators. My prototype will deliver a 176 X 64 B&W pixel picture
with an incremented grey-scale every 1/4 second; This gives a resolution of
11,264 pixels.  But that's just the prototype!

The full blown device as Patent Application describes, uses 525 electrodes.  It
delivers a resolution of 367,500 pixels per picture, every 1/5 second.  I know,
that requires 3500 Hz and that physical vibration does not work with touch cell
receptors.  It does work however, with direct nerve stimulation by electric
charges, whereas the skin is not physically vibrated.

We had abandoned using electric cutaneous systems, due to shortcomings that
such
systems became known for.  All those obstacles have been resolved and now we
can
use this technology again.

We are in early stages of development, but not so far from a prototype.  Dr
Peter Meijer has graciously allowed us to borrow The vOICe to "tag" my
prototype
tactile array onto it, changing his "sound scape" into a tactile representation.

We are "Morning Star Foundation for the Blind", a Nonprofit Org., EIN #
35-2391547

All My Best,

Bill English

MSFB Org