[optacon-l] Please Bring Back the Optacon!

  • From: "John Huffman" <j73.huffman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:54:43 -0500

The article of this title, to which we were first alerted in mid-December,
has appeared in the January 2009 issue of "the Braille Forum."  When I
checked earlier today, it wasn't yet on-line, but others wishing to check
later can visit www.acb.org and find links to the Forum.

The author, Pam Coffey by name, represents herself as not being a "computer
geek" or "techie,:"so may not be in a position to join this list.  Her
Optacon quit working in 2003, and she seems only to have discovered at that
time that Optacons were no longer being manufactured; nor was she aware of
any repair options.  The article doesn't indicate whether she still has her
non-working machine.

if someone out there knows this lady, you might do her a great service by
contacting her to let her know that Optacons can still be repaired and
providing her with available options.  I plan to contact the Forum editor to
see if she can put Ms. Coffey in contact with me for the same purpose.

Regards, All.  JH