[optacon-l] Re: Optacon reading technique

  • From: David <trailerdavid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 17:58:21 +0200

I wanted to add on one tiny extra suggestion here.

Many times, it might be beneficial, even to tilt your Optacon slightly
sideways as well. So, if you test it out, try raising the front a tiny bit,
and make sure that the right-hand, front-end corner is a bit higher than the
left-hand, front-end corner. This might take a bit of try-and-failing, but
the mainpoint of all of this, is to get the Optacon positioned in an angle,
that is as natural as possible, according to your body shape, and the
working position you are usually in.

Also, to prevent fattigue, it might be helpful to slide the Optacon unit,
further in on the desk. Try to rest your as much of your forearm as
possible, on the desk, or make sure, the arm will have any other support
that is needed. If you let your arm "hang" loose, when reading, often the
arm muscles will tire out pretty soon, and the weight of the whole arm will
be loading onto your fingers, causing them more straining and fatigue. The
more relaxed you can be, when reading with the optacon, the better things
will work out for you. And likely, you will find that your reading speed and
endurance increases.

When operating the Optacon on a desk, I like to have the Optacon itself that
far back on the desk, that the rear end of the display, aligns with the top
edge of the page I am reading on. This typically, would mean that I move my
optacon something like 10 or 12 inches in, from the front-edge of the desk.
That covers most of your forarm, and so you will easily get well relaxed. If
you need further support for your forearm, get hold of a tiny cushion, or
even use a book or the like, underneath your forearm. Simply put, make
yourself comfortable, when reading.