[optacon-l] Re: Optacon Tactile Display Intensity Survey

  • From: "Marie Rudys" <mrudys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:37:48 -0700

Dear Dr. Bliss,

I just want to thank you so much for developing the Optacon.  I am glad to
be able to read print for myself instead of having to pester people to read
for me when they don't want to be bothered in this day and age.  I have
wanted to use one since the 1970's, but those old fuddy-duddies in Illinois
Rehab did not want the blind people to have any access to anything and that
made me mad, so I left that state in 1980 and put that dream away for a long
time.  When I finally dared to ask in 1994, and I was living in Nevada at
the time, which I hated so much, I finally got what I wanted: I was the only
one in Reno using the Optacon and I picked it up in four months; it not only
surprised the teacher, Kevin Hull, but everyone else, me, too!!  When I want
to learn something badly enough, it will stick with me in such a way that
when I finally get it, well, I am more than ready to learn it and put it to
use.  Illinois has never been as progressive a state anyway, not in
educating the blind and in their treatment in Rehab.  My parents did not
understand it, but I did.  They said because of my attitude, I was not going
to get any services from them because I refused to work in a sheltered
workshop.  Just what did it have with my dream for an Optacon?  Nothing; it
only made me want it more.  I didn't care; I wanted that Optacon, and I told
that old man I didn't like him, either, and that I wished he had never been
assigned to my area.  California sure is different about it, but I was
afraid to ask.  All the Optacons I ever got are used, and I never had a new
one.  Anyway, I really wanted to say, thank you for that special kind of
freedom I would never have otherwise.  I don't care that it is one letter at
a time; I am just glad I can read and understand what I am reading!  I use
my current one now that it has been restored by Richard Oehm, and I thanked
him for a job well done.  Do keep us posted about the development of a
newer, smaller, and lighter Optacon.  I am glad I was able to take part in
this.

Marie