Off topic, talking buses/trains, letters to transit agencies

  • From: "Linda Gehres" <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:44:33 -0700

Hi Everyone,

I know I'm off topic here, but I thought that since this does involve
technology that could hopefully make mobility easier for all of us blind and
visually impaired public transit users, I would forward this message to the
list so that anyone who feels so inclined can go to the link below and fill
out a form letter which will be sent to whatever transit agency you select
asking them to make new technology available that would enable us to hear
talking signs.  Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone
that you feel might wish to participate in the letter-writing campaign.
Thanks for your help!  The link to go to is below:

http://www.accessiblesignagenow.org

Linda Gehres

Greetings -
This message is about encouraging transit systems
to have talking busses/ trains etc.  Please
review and pass it on to others who you think
might be interested in helping.  The link to the
"accessible signage now" is in the body of the
text below and makes it easy to fill in your
information to generate a letter.
I am hoping that you will be willing to add your
voice to our efforts to make public
transportation accessible to people with visual,
cognitive and learning disabilities. After years
of advocacy, especially by ACB, sufficient
acceptance of the importance of orientation
accessibility has resulted in Congress passing
legislation create the RIAS MAP, (Remote Infrared
Audible Signage Model Accessibility Project). The
RIAS MAP will provide the first regional,
multi-modal implementation of Remote Infrared
Audible Signage (Talking Signs®), a proven
wayfinding and orientation access technology.
Talking Signs technology is developed and sold by Talking Signs, Inc.

The FTA (Federal Transit Administration), has
released a request for proposal to transit
agencies seeking a host city for the RIAS MAP.
There is a very short time frame for transit agencies to respond.

CALL FOR ACTION!

We need you to join this effort. It is simple and
takes less than five minutes.

<BLOCKED::http://accessiblesignagenow.org>http://accessiblesignagenow.or

  and log on. A letter will be generated to your
local transit agency General Manager over your
name letting him or her know that you encourage
them to apply for the $2 million in Federal funds
to make your local buses, paratransit vehicles
and trains accessible to those who can't see or can't read.

Please join the thousands of people with
disabilities, advocates, professionals and other
members of the community who are helping to
create orientation access for all. Please forward
this call to action to anyone you know who would
be willing to contribute his or her voice to this national priority
project.

Orientation access to public places and public transportation is a
civil right.

Ward Bond

President

Talking Signs,Inc.