[optacon-l] Re: New to the Optacon

  • From: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:43:21 -0400

One thing that will help you is find something to put above the current line
on which you are reading like a phone book and line it with the material so
that it is going straight across. Use that as a guide. When first using an
Optacon, it is easy to skew from the straight line. Then, when first using
it, move down, and move your guide down, only at first to get accustomed to
that wide spectrum line, as it were.

Also, a new reader gets fatigued easier. So if you start with short and easy
things to get acclimated to the Optacon, and then in a few weeks try an
easy-reading novel. You'll built speed, accuracy and confidence that way.
Eventually you'll be able to read information like statements, learn to cut
to what is important to you in such documents.

Get acquainted with the controls. At the top of the camera is a little round
knob that you adjust to the size of the print. I don't know which model you
have, but there are knobs to adjust for thickness of character and for
stimulation, more or less intensity. Those are items that you have to
determine which is most suitable to your needs.

It is very important to keep your finger clean and dry. Hand lotion is to be
avoided when you plan to use the Optacon. This might sound a little
elementary, but since you said you had the Optacon and no one to help you, I
am trying to be as basic as possible.

Be prepared to be a little weary for the first week or so, but mkeep
chugging, and the best of luck to you.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn