[optacon-l] Re: Interesting List Observations and Document Layouts

  • From: Jyrki Voutilainen <jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 16:30:16 +0200

Oh yes, but you are a more advanced Optacon user than I am when it comes
to reading into a recording device that I also have, and not only one but
several just for different use. (smile) The most simple one might be my
Olympus DS50 recorder, if I remember the model correctly, but the more
simple a recording device is, the better when reading something into it.

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Natalie wrote:

> One thing that I do is take any recording device and while both hands
> are busy with the Optacon I read into it.  So much easier now than when
> we had tapes.  In that way we can give ourselves the cues we want about
> formatting, font etc. and don't have to go through repeatedly reading
> and listening to the same thing over and over again.
>
> Natalie Johnson
> On 2/27/2014 12:26 AM, Jyrki Voutilainen wrote:

>>> So am also I, but wanted just to bring another view of the silence.
>> And I still have to say that the Optacon has decreased my dependency on my
>> other IT equipment a bit, and the Optacon is also an IT device but on a
>> very early stage. It doesn't have any internal memory for storing the read
>> material, for instance, but to be honest, I haven't really missed such a
>> facility in the Optacon even though it would sometimes be nice to be able
>> to memorize something read for further purposes in a convenient way. Then
>> you could still get an image of layouts, font types etc. and read the
>> memorized contents later without rereading the document. When rereading
>> the document you would already have its layout "in your head".
>>
>> The only problem I see in this is that every rechecking of something you
>> have missed or missunderstood would also be memorized and recalled
>> assuming that everything was "recorded" and stored in the memory.
>>
>> This could be compaired with audio recording where everything is recorded
>> with every stumble, pause or whatever included. Of course you can stop and
>> continue an audio recording, and you could do the same also with the
>> Optacon, but would it be that easy? But still the idea of a "recording"
>> Optacon is fascinating, or what do all of you think?
>>
>> When Optacon was still manufactured, memory was expensive but could
>> probably have been inserted to the present Optacon models. The output of
>> the memory content would also have caused some designing even though the
>> Optacon's display was already there. A new Optacon could be connected to a
>> computer or whatever IT device through USB or Bluetooth, and it could also
>> have an internal speaker and support for all written languages. The memory
>> content should also be available without any external devices with
>> internal speech output, and the content should of course be able to read
>> from the Optacon's display just like the original document.

> Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by sending a message to:

Jyrki Voutilainen
mailto:jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx
Mobile 1: +358 (0) 40 5028 922
Mobile 2: +358 (0) 46 6615 131