[optacon-l] Re: Interesting List Observations and Document Layouts

  • From: Jyrki Voutilainen <jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 07:26:30 +0200

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Jyrki Voutilainen wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Laurel Jean Walden wrote:
>
>> I agree with you regarding the Optacon and am so grateful for this list.
>
> So am also I, but wanted just to bring another view of the silence.

And I still have to say that the Optacon has decreased my dependency on my
other IT equipment a bit, and the Optacon is also an IT device but on a
very early stage. It doesn't have any internal memory for storing the read
material, for instance, but to be honest, I haven't really missed such a
facility in the Optacon even though it would sometimes be nice to be able
to memorize something read for further purposes in a convenient way. Then
you could still get an image of layouts, font types etc. and read the
memorized contents later without rereading the document. When rereading
the document you would already have its layout "in your head".

The only problem I see in this is that every rechecking of something you
have missed or missunderstood would also be memorized and recalled
assuming that everything was "recorded" and stored in the memory.

This could be compaired with audio recording where everything is recorded
with every stumble, pause or whatever included. Of course you can stop and
continue an audio recording, and you could do the same also with the
Optacon, but would it be that easy? But still the idea of a "recording"
Optacon is fascinating, or what do all of you think?

When Optacon was still manufactured, memory was expensive but could
probably have been inserted to the present Optacon models. The output of
the memory content would also have caused some designing even though the
Optacon's display was already there. A new Optacon could be connected to a
computer or whatever IT device through USB or Bluetooth, and it could also
have an internal speaker and support for all written languages. The memory
content should also be available without any external devices with
internal speech output, and the content should of course be able to read
from the Optacon's display just like the original document.

--
Jyrki Voutilainen
mailto:jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx