[optacon-l] Got My Optacon Back this Afternoon!

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 18:13:51 -0600

I'm on cloud 9!  I haven't had access to my 2 optacons, the one that was
mine, and the one which belonged to my Angel-Bride Margie for several years
and haven't been able to afford to get them repaired since my first of 4
lay-offs since 11/03/08.  Suffice it to say I feel more competent and
confident now Richard Oehm has done his miracles on my Optacon, and I'm
sending the Optacon which was Margie's tomorrow, as I like redundancy.  I
can't wait to try to read the PBX display and other things like the Savin
Copier display at work!

I prefer scanning for voluminous reading, but love the quick ability to get
specific data off of bills, reports Etc., once you're  familiar with their
format, using the Optacon.  I also love having an exact understanding of the
format of documents, as recomposition is one of the more difficult problems
for OCR technology to crack, and that's necessarily so for those of us
needing to approach a document with speech output or braille, but my brain
and hand allow resolution of format related problems when interacting
directly with documents, graphical data, and for Margie staved musical
notation and hand-writing.  It was also great for me for schematics and
other graphical data.

Nick