[optacon-l] Re: Battery

  • From: Richard Oehm <oehmelec@xxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 14:00:07 -0700

Hello Tere Codina and other friends on this list,
This is Richard Oehm from Oehm Electronics.  I'm directing the following
information to Tere Codina but I'm posting it to the list because I
think that others may benefit from it as well.
As most of you already know, at My company (Oehm Electronics) I repair
all models of the Optacon and offer for sale complete rebuilt and
refurbished Optacons guaranteed to work as good as new.
If you suspect that you're having a problem with a rechargeable battery
pack for the R2 series of Optacons, you can remove the battery from the
Optacon and power the Optacon with its AC power supply/adapter only.
This AC power supply/adapter is able to power your R2 series Optacon
marginally well without a battery pack installed and connected to your
Optacon.  If you're able to obtain reasonable performance from your R2
series Optacon using only your optacon's AC power supply/adapter, you
can be almost certain that the problems you're experiencing when a
rechargeable battery pack is connected to your Optacon are definitely
related to your rechargeable battery pack.  If however, you're still
experiencing problems with your R2 series Optacon when only the power
supply/AC adapter is connected to your Optacon, you can be sure that the
problem is with your Optacon and not its rechargeable battery pack.
If an R2 series rechargeable battery pack is severely depleted or is
defective, your R2 series Optacon will not perform properly when this
battery pack is connected to your Optacon.  This will be true even if
your  battery pack and your Optacon's AC to DC power supply/adapter are
both connected to your Optacon.  This is because the supplied power
supply/adapter is only barely capable of powering your R2 series Optacon
by itself.  When a rechargeable battery pack is connected to your R2
series Optacon the battery and the power supply/adapter work together to
power your Optacon.  This scheme works great and can improve the
performance of your R2 series Optacon slightly by providing ample power
for your Optacon, as long as the battery pack is fairly well charged and
working properly.  However, if the R2 series battery pack is severely
discharged or is not working properly, it will steal power from the
power supply/adapter and prevent your Optacon from having enough power
to  perform properly.  Usually, when An R2 series Optacon is not
receiving enough power to operate properly, it will either fail to power
up, or the Optacons "threshold" control will not function properly.
This failure of the "threshold" control will cause all pins to fire when
the R2 series Optacon is in its "normal" mode regardless of the setting
of the "threshold" control.  In the "invert" mode, this failure
condition will cause no pins to fire regardless of the setting of the
"threshold" control.
As stated previously, if your R2 series Optacon does not perform
properly when it is only powered by its power supply/adapter, the
problem is not the battery pack, it is instead a problem with the
Optacon itself and the Optacon will need to be repaired.
Please Remember, that R2 series Optacon batteries can only be charged by
using the R2 series Optacon battery charging module.  These batteries
will never charge or recharge when installed upon and connected to the
R2 series Optacon.
When Telesensory sold the R2 series Optacons they included two
rechargeable battery packs, a battery charging module, and one AC to DC
power supply/adapter with each R2 series Optacon.  Their intention was
that normally a user of the R2 series Optacon would connect the power
supply/adapter to the battery charging module and have one of the
rechargeable battery packs recharging while the other battery pack was
being used with the Optacon.  When the battery pack being used with the
R2 series Optacon became discharged, the user would remove the freshly
recharged battery from the battery charging module, install this battery
on their Optacon and install the discharged battery pack onto the
battery charging module.  This technique insured that the user would
allways have a freshly recharged battery at the ready when needed.
Additionally, this would insure that both battery packs would be
continuously cycled (charged and discharged).  This cycling insures the
longest possible battery life and best performance from these
rechargeable battery packs.
At Oehm Electronics we rebuild the R2 series battery packs.  Please save
your depleted and defective R2 series rechargeable battery packs.  Do
not dispose of these batteries.  These battery packs can be rebuilt but
no new replacement battery packs are available.  However, if you've lost
your R2 series rechargeable battery pack or if you need to obtain one of
these rechargeable battery packs, we have a very limited number of these
battery packs available for sale here at Oehm Electronics.  We will
charge a relatively high price for these rebuilt replacement battery
packs ($275.00 each).  As stated in an earlier posting to this list, we
charge $115.00 to rebuild your depleted R2 series rechargeable battery
packs.  You can save a lot of money by sending us your depleted battery
packs and having your rechargeable battery packs rebuilt.  We can also
offer you some credit for R2 series battery packs that you no longer
need.
If you need Optacon repair services of any kind, we're here to help.
Here is our contact information.
Oehm Electronics
2194C Galveston Avenue
San Jose, California 95122-3617