A personal anniversary

  • From: Pat Byrne <k9jau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:48:35 -0500

I saw my first Optacon at a "blind convention" in Chicago, probably
in 1972 or '73.  I read a few letters and decided I wanted one!!
I got a bank loan and bought it; I talked my boss into paying for the
training at TSI.  That was in July the year before Nixon
resigned.  It was all over the news and I remember a few politically
WAY incorrect statements about him and the horse he rode in on!! (I
think made by me)!!
That was probably 1974, and I have used my Optacon every day (almost)
ever since.  My original Optacon, which I still own, was the first
R1C to come off the production line.  Richard Oehm keeps that one and
another I have since acquired going, and going quite well.
I had forgotten about the Optacon and Social Security.  Some time
after I was trained, I was talking to someone at TSI, probably Gayle
Brugler.  She told me they were talking with Social Security, and it
turns out, one of the people from S S was Jim Linsley, someone I had
shared a locker with all through high school.  My name somehow came
up and somehow Jim thought I was competent so an old friendship might
have influenced the Optacon at Social Security.  Jim was across the
country from Chicago where we went to high school, and I have never
talked with him about  this.
Thanks a lot for the memories.
And as so many of us are saying:  "Long live the Optacon."
Pat Byrne