[muglo] Re: useless clutter your computer saves

  • From: Don Green Dragon <fergdc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:46:38 -0600

Hello Doug,

On 17Jul2014, at 6:03 PM, Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On occasion I’ve gone into my iMac’s top library file and found up to a
> couple of gigabytes of Mail messages duplicated there for
> Apple-only-knows-why. This time, there was very little, but I stumbled on
> another memory-hogging cache full of advertising images I’ve never looked at
> except to note their and trash them. They’re all from online catalogue sites
> where I’ve gone hunting for particular items and had to wade through pages of
> these other items to get there.
>
> You might want to check on how much space your browser’s wasting with this
> stuff: To get to the main library, if you haven’t had occasion to do that
> before, press Go from the Finder’s main menu, hold onto the drop-down menu
> that appears, and press Option to make the normally-hidden Library
> destination appear in the list. Open that and all kinds of neat things show
> up. The cache I cleared out today was at
> Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mail/fsCachedData

Interesting! But …

I went to the directory that you list above and looked. Clearly Junk so I
deleted it. However, on looking around in nearby directories I discovered some
`caches’ that are relevant and that I know I don’t want to delete. Most of what
showed up was too mysterious for me to understand, hence I did not touch what
remained a mystery.

Thanks for the info.

don green dragon
fergdc@xxxxxxx