[muglo] useless clutter your computer saves

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 20:03:46 -0400

On occasion I’ve gone into my iMac’s top library file and found up to a couple
of gigabytes of Mail messages duplicated there for Apple-only-knows-why. This
time, there was very little, but I stumbled on another memory-hogging cache
full of advertising images I’ve never looked at except to note their and trash
them. They’re all from online catalogue sites where I’ve gone hunting for
particular items and had to wade through pages of these other items to get
there.

You might want to check on how much space your browser’s wasting with this
stuff: To get to the main library, if you haven’t had occasion to do that
before, press Go from the Finder’s main menu, hold onto the drop-down menu that
appears, and press Option to make the normally-hidden Library destination
appear in the list. Open that and all kinds of neat things show up. The cache I
cleared out today was at
Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.mail/fsCachedData