[muglo] Re: protecting routers

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:47:15 -0500

On 17/03/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Simple process:
> Login to your router. Enter the desired password in the wireless
> configuration field. Enter the password (whether it's the encrypted
> version as reported by the router or the 'raw' version) into your
> Airport containing Mac OS X machine. Voila. Done.
>
> Considerations:
>
> 1. Do you want the wireless router to announce its presence to the
> world or listen quietly for its clients to come knocking? i.e. do you
> "broadcast SSID"?
>
> 2. Do you want wireless security turned on?
>
> If not, you should have SSID broadcasting off and MAC address control
> ON (i.e. only certain MAC addresses can access the basestation... you
> should always have this feature on as it provides an extra layer of
> security... a determined hacker will know how to "spoof" a MAC
> address, but, if a casual hacker happens to get a hold of your
> password (through social engineering or trial and error) they still
> won't be able to do anything if their computer's MAC address is barred
> from the router).

PS A MAC address has nothing to do with Macs ;-). It's a unique, hard
coded identifier that is assigned to a network device. Ethernet ports
have them as do wireless cards. That said, it sometimes is necessary
to "spoof" another device's MAC address for security or networking
purposes.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/