[muglo] Re: protecting routers

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:44:23 -0500

Simple process:
Login to your router. Enter the desired password in the wireless
configuration field. Enter the password (whether it's the encrypted
version as reported by the router or the 'raw' version) into your
Airport containing Mac OS X machine. Voila. Done.

Considerations:

1. Do you want the wireless router to announce its presence to the
world or listen quietly for its clients to come knocking? i.e. do you
"broadcast SSID"?

2. Do you want wireless security turned on?

If not, you should have SSID broadcasting off and MAC address control
ON (i.e. only certain MAC addresses can access the basestation... you
should always have this feature on as it provides an extra layer of
security... a determined hacker will know how to "spoof" a MAC
address, but, if a casual hacker happens to get a hold of your
password (through social engineering or trial and error) they still
won't be able to do anything if their computer's MAC address is barred
from the router).

If security on then...

you have two choices:
WEP and WPA

Apple's Airport implementation plays with both standards, but,
unfortunately it wasn't particularly obvious as to how to configure
the Airport side of things to work in older versions of OS X. In OS X
10.4 Apple finally got around to making it easier to manage wireless
connections so you should be able to select your preferred security
standard in the router and set it up on your computer.

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/