[muglo] Re: [mugloG] Discussion on messages

  • From: doug rogers <dougsamu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:32:17 -0500

On 26-Feb-09, at 9:10 PM, Wayne Dobson wrote:

> Doug, my original intent was to test the Google forum abilities
> without flooding the Freelist site(&member's emails). Can this be
> done? It looks like the mirroring is one way now - posts made on
> Google show up on Freelist, but not vice-versa.

I have unsubscribed the Freelists Muglo list from the Google group, so
the posts should not be sent twice.

Previously: when Freelists allowed machine subscribers, part of the
trick was to add the (freelist muglo) list address as a subscriber to
the Google list. That way, posts to Google were sent to all
subscribers of the freelists mailing list.

Of course on the Google list, individual users can manipulate their
own subscription options quite easily. Setting your Google
subscription to "No Mail" prevented getting messages from both places.

And leaving your Google subscribed address to No Mail allows you to
treat the site as an online forum, of sorts.

One advantage to forwarding the messages through freelists was that it
stripped out all the formatting down to plain text. Messages sent from
Google directly are formatted with ads down the side, and frankly are
very hard to read on an ipod :-( Anyone searched out a way to alter
the message so it can be read better on those small screens?