[muglo] Re: font management: FontExplorer X Pro

  • From: Scott Strawbridge <scotts1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:08:24 -0400

Hi Mary
I have a similar setup with Suitcase Fusion. Fonts are copied into a "Font
Vault" and everything works fine
FontXplorer works similarly (I really miss ATM Deluxe though)

As a general rule of thumb, don't mess with the fonts in the System/Fonts
folder. Moving these will cause all kinds of problems.
You can alter the fonts in Library/Fonts and ~Library/Fonts ("~" indicates your
Home Folder) without problems (although, Microsoft Office seems to need its
fonts left in Library/Fonts. If moved, Office will reinstall the fonts next
launch anyway).

If you are content with how the fonts are organized and such, manage from the
current location.
If you let FontXplorer copy and organize, yes, you will have duplicates on your
system, but FontXplorer will only use the ones from the newly organized library.

I've tried every font manager out there (Suitcase, Suitcase Fusion, FontAgent
Pro, Master Juggler, FontXplorer X and Pro, Apple's FontBook, Fontacse) and
while it has its quirks, I found Suitcase Fusion to work the best (for me ,
anyway). It has the ability to sort fonts by classification, family, type
foundry and so on and then export those fonts as organized folders which you
can back up to disk.

Good Luck

----
Scott Strawbridge | Graphic Artist