[muglo] Re: Symantec snafu

  • From: Barry Takayesu <barryt99@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:48:12 -0400

On 12-Jul-09, at 1:29 PM, Doug Bale wrote:

> Symantec just got to be more hassle than it was worth. I liked its
> Norton Antivirus, but they kept pestering me with popups inside that
> program trying to get me to also buy Norton Confidential (I once did
> fall for that one, and it turned out to be a total rip-off) and
> other stuff I neither wanted nor needed. anyway, I finally got fed
> up and did my best to delete Norton and any other Symantec
> nuisances.Didn't get quite all of them, though. There's some bit of
> software still lurking, which throws up an alert every time I boot
> up, saying "Norton AntiVirus Error. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
> could not load the scan engine. Please run LiveUpdate to get the
> latest version. (Code 6)"Wherever the lurking bit still is, it
> doesn't show up in searches for "Norton", "Symanec" or "AntiVirus".
> Any idea what it could be, and where it's hiding?

Doug:

I came across this write-up in VersionTracker just yesterday.

It's shareware and is only $9.95 and might do the job.

Amnesia - 1.0.8

Product Description:
Many software titles on Mac OS come with the uninstall directions of
simply "Drag the application to the Trash and empty it". In reality,
this often leaves many related files on the computer taking up
valuable hard drive space. Amnesia performs a smart scan to determine
all related files to be removed. Easily uninstall not just
applications, but also Screen Savers, Dashboard Widgets, and
Preference Panes. Amnesia will remove logs, caches, application
support files, preferences, crash reports, and other application
specific files. Take the frustration and time out of searching for all
of these files manually. In addition, turn on a secure deletion option
to prevent recovery of the removed files. Scared to accidently remove
something you may need later? Amnesia comes with a built-in backup
function which creates an archive of related files incase you wish to
restore them at a later time. It will reinstall the pieces of the
product exactly where they came from -- even if you choose to restore
to a different machine! Another powerful feature Amnesia has to offer
is the ability to create a list of Untouchables (in addition to the
ones built-in). Untouchables are software products which Amnesia will
warn you about incase a remove is attempted. This is handy incase a
particular software product should be removed using a manufacturer-
provided uninstaller instead.
What's new in this version:
        • New Feature: Scans the Downloads folder for components of the
application as well.
        • New Feature: Scans for ejectable volumes, and can eject them if
scheduled for remove.
        • New Feature: Can now exclude untouchables from the scan results list.
        • Bug Fix: Fixed XML parsing/saving errors.

Prestige Print & Graphics       Barry Takayesu
10592 Wellington Rd.            P: (519) 631-8800
St.Thomas, ON                   F: (519) 631-6316
Canada                          barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx