[muglo] Re: QuickTime vs.iTunes

  • From: A.Pomfret <pomfret@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:39:44 -0400

Hello Karl,

There are a couple of things you can try.

The easiest is to bring up the song list in the Finder (not the iTunes
song list window)
Select all the songs you want to convert back to the iTunes icone.
Go to Show Info under the File menu (in the Finder)
Go to Open With Application.
Select iTunes.
This should change all of the QuickTime icons to iTunes icons.

You can also use the Convert Selection to MP3 command in under the
Advanced iTunes menu, but then you would have a lot of duplicates to
trash. Of course, if you are storing the songs in AIFF format, this MP3
conversion is probably not what you want, so use the first method only.

Finally, in the iTunes Preferences dialogue box, under the General tab,
click on the Use iTunes for Internet Playback button.

Hopefully your remaining import will be in the iTunes format. (But I am
not sure of this. I have both QuickTime 6 and iTunes running on my
system and all my songs import with the iTunes icon)

In the Preferences box, under the Importing tab, you can select with
format you want to import your tunes in - mp3, aiff, wav.

In general, it does not matter whether the mp3s are associated with the
QuickTime or the iTunes icon if you are accessing the songs from the
iTunes song list. It will matter if you access them from the Finder in
terms of which player appears on your desktop.

Hope this helps.

Alan Pomfret