[muglo] PowerBook G3 Pismo battery has failed after being discharged

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mac Canada <mac-canada@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:32:18 -0400

Hello listers,

I recently was away from my PowerBook G3/400 Pismo for two weeks (my
previous record in 2 years was 1 week) and when I came back the
battery was dead. It no longer charges and only one of the green
lights flashes when I press the "button" on the battery.

I had left the battery fully charged when I left and the laptop was
unplugged and shutdown for the two weeks. When I got home the battery
was fully discharged and the back-up battery had presumably also fully
discharged (date was 1969).

Now the battery refuses to charge (even though it was working a few
weeks ago). When I pop in a different battery (from a PB G3 Lombard)
the other battery charges and the PB G3 Pismo battery doesn't charge
when I pop it in the Lombard (so it's the battery that doesn't charge,
not the laptop).

Anyone have any experience with this problem? Is the battery lost
forever or is it possible to reset the settings inside the battery?

Eric.