[muglo] Re: LG-4163B Dual Layer DVD Writer

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:17:11 -0400

On 8/29/05, Leith Peterson <leithriver7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Eric. Cutting Edge sells an LG GSA-4163B
> internal for $61. I want external, so they said they could put it in
> a case for an additional $32.00. There are 32 reports about this
> drive on the website you mentioned below. At first, I couldn't find
> any entries at all, but after I left all the fields blank except for
> the drive number (GSA-4163B), 32 came up.

Leith, I took a peek on Cutting Edge Computers' web site (<
http://www.cedgec.com>) (out of curiosity ;-) and noticed that the $32 case
was for USB only. All the FW cases are $50 and up (as an FYI) so you may
want to go with a known quantity (i.e. bundled case) vs. saving $10 or $20
with an unbundled case.

Make SURE that you get a FW case as your iBook does NOT support USB 2.0! It
is impossible to burn a DVD over USB 1.1 (it would take days and no software
or DVD burners support it).

Eric.