[muglo] Re: Format a drive using Disk Utility on a Mac

  • From: Doug Bale <dougbale@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 13:32:12 -0400

Me too, but i think the encrypted options are relatively new additions, are
they not? I don't remember seeing them when setting up my present Time Capsule
a couple of years back. If encryption IS available, it would seem to be a good
thing to choose. The only downside would be that recovering a whole hard
drive's worth of files in the case of a catastrophic failure might take a
little longer, but that's something we expect to have to do only rarely if
ever, so speed's hardly an essential consideration. I might use mine perhaps
once a month to restore some single file I've botched irreparably, but scarcely
oftener than that.
In any case, though, really essential and/or confidential (banking, contact
lists, etc.) files ought to be encrypted  and backed up individually, yes?