Re: LuaJIT-on-Xen?

  • From: Luke Gorrie <luke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:16:53 +0200

On 5 May 2013 17:39, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Or better yet, what's the "minimum viable operating system?" I figured
> it was Dresden Real-Time Operating System (DROPS) at one point, but
> there must be something smaller. As long as it will run on any
> hardware architecture, a minimum language VM - Forth, LuaJIT, JVM,
> JavaScript, Scheme, Erlang, ...  should do it.

For me it's Openfirmware by Mitch Bradley. That's a Forth system that he
originally wrote for debugging hardware in the early days of Sun
Microsystems and nowadays is open source and is used for booting and
hardware-debugging the OLPC XO. Great piece of engineering with one person
lovingly maintaining it over decades. (Reminds me of LuaJIT -- I hope Mike
keeps developing it for a long time too.)

I once ported Squeak to Openfirmware to have a full graphical OS written in
Forth+Smalltalk and running directly on the OLPC XO. This gave me the sense
of closure that I needed to get back to normal work :-)

Sorry for drifting off topic...