[leasbirds] LEAS field trip to Clapp Park, Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 15:23:31 -0500

Greetings All:

I led (sort of) three people (sort of) on a two hour field trip around
Clapp Park this morning. Jim Crites, Allan Livingston, Janice Whittington,
and I tallied 31 species of bird - along with a few butterflies and even
fewer mammals. Highlights are in ALL CAPS with observers in (parentheses).

Though water levels were much improved, birding was slow - the recent
weather system did little in the way of inviting migrants to tarry.

1 Fiery Skipper
6 Sachems
1 Orange Sulphur
1 Little Yellow
1 Gray Hairstreak
1 American Snout
1 Monarch
1 Bordered Patch
1 Red Admiral

38 Mallards
1 female and 1 male CINNAMON TEALS (JC, AH, AL, JW
1 Great Blue Heron
1 Green Heron
2 American Coots
2 Killdeers
2 GREATER YELLOWLEGS (JC, AH, JW)
22 Eurasian Collared Doves
14 White-winged Doves
3 Mourning Doves
1 immature and 1 female BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRDS (JC, AH, AL, JW)
2 Northern Flickers
1 EASTERN PHOEBE (JC, AH, AL, JW)
12 Blue Jays
1 Barn Swallow
1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET (AH)
72 American Robins
7 Northern Mockingbirds
6 European Starlings
1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (AH, AL)
1 MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER (AH)
1 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (JC, AH, JW)
3 WILSON'S WARBLERS (JC, AH, AL, JW)
3 CLAY-COLORED SPARROWS (JC, AH, AL, JW)
4 Northern Cardinals
1 immature PAINTED BUNTING (AH)
16 Red-winged Blackbirds
3 Western Meadowlarks
46 Great-tailed Grackles
5 House Finches
9 House Sparrows

3 Eastern Gray Squirrels

By the by, none of the birds were new for my Clapp Park list for 2015.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock