[leasbirds] Highlights from Clapp Park - Today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 20:48:34 -0500

Greetings All:

I spent 2.25 hours at Clapp Park this morning (the first hour leading a
butterfly field trip; the remainder chasing birds on my own). We had a
decent system move through Friday night/Saturday morning and, as hoped for,
things were a bit more interesting with a bit a rain trickling into the
system.

I tallied 36 species of birds with the following highlights: 1 Western
Sandpiper, 1 Common Nighthawk, 2 immature Black-chinned Hummingbirds, 1
Peregrine Falcon, 1 Oliver-sided Flycatcher, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher,
2 House Wrens, 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 1
Orange-crowned Warbler, 2 Nashville Warblers, 1 female Common Yellowthroat,
MacGillivray's Warbler, 1 Yellow Warbler, 5 Wilson's Warblers, and 1 female
Painted Bunting,

Also of interest: a mid-sized Common Snapping Turtle digging itself out of
the playa bed and heading for shore, possibly to lay eggs.

The Great Crested Flycatcher and Western Sandpiper were new to the site for
my 2015 list, bringing me up to 167 species at Clapp Park so far this year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock