[leasbirds] Good birding at the Purina Mountain Bike Trail, Lubbock, today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:12:14 -0500

Greetings All:

I spent 4.5 hours at the Purina Mountain Bike Trail with Jennifer Miller
this morning. We started in the woodlands between Parkway and the golf
course, worked our way along the gravel road from the quarry to the
northwest end of the trail and then worked our way back along the bike
trails/old roads paralleling the golf course.

Highlights from the wooded area along the river included 1 Black-chinned
Hummingbird, 2 Carolina Wrens, 1 immature male Indigo Bunting, and a mixed
flock of warblers that included 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, at least 1 Yellow
Warbler, two first fall female Black-throated Green Warblers, and at least
4 Wilson's Warblers.

Brushy thickets along the roads kicked out 2 well-separated Willow
Flycatchers, 2 Least Flycatchers, 1 Verdin, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 1
Nashville Warbler, 1 Yellow Warbler, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 2 Clay-colored
Sparrows, and 1 immature male Indigo Bunting.

The draws that run from the golf course to the upland roads/trails kicked
out 2 immature Yellow-billed Cuckoos, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, and 1 first fall male Western Tanager.

At least 6 Cassin's Sparrows were spotted at various spots in the dry
uplands along the gravel road and the bike trail/old road - a surprising
number for this late in the season. One was still in decidedly immature
plumage.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock