[GeoStL] Re: pdas

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 06:52:32 -0800 (PST)

-
Jean et al,

I did not say cheap was best...but you and MIke and
the rest have made the point over and over again. Buy
a PDA that meets or exceeds your needs!!!
I have no need to listen to music (if I want to do
that I turn on the radio) I have no need to watch
movies (if I do I go home and turn on the TV) I have
no need to look at digital pictures (that is what my
camera and PC are for). I work on computers all day
long and I spend a lot of time on them while I am home
at night. I sure don't need to be carrying that stuff
with me everywhere.
My point was that if you know what your needs are
(mine were to go paperless caching and to carry phone
numbers with me in case I need to call one of you guys
to go along) then buy a PDA to meet or exceed those
needs. I did not want to spend a fortune on a handheld
but I figured I would recoup the money soon enough in
paper saved when I go caching.

When I was taking computer courses for this job I had
a teacher who told us something one time that made a
lot of sense to me. He said "If you have a computer
that does what you want it to do there is no need to
upgrade just because everyone else does" He still
worked at home on a Commodore 64 but was teaching
classes on the newest and best PCs....His needs were
met by what he had and he felt no need to upgrade.
I guess my point is that some of you need or want the
best or some high end PDA....but not everyone wants or
needs that. I was only offering another option.

Dan (Thunder)

--- Jean Squires <Iris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -
> If you are going to buy a pda cheap isn't always
> better.  Once you find out what it can do you may
> want to do more than your memory allows.  Also if
> you only have an sd slot and want to take pictures
> and you need an sdio slot they are not the same
> thing.  My husband ran into that problem.  He bought
> an HP 1910 and since then they have made the HP 1920
> or 30 or something and it looks exactly the same but
> it does so much more.  He is very limited and he is
> p____d!  He just wanted something to play games on
> and have addresses and phone numbers and now he
> wants to play music and pictures and do things like
> I do on my big power horse and I told him to go
> bigger in the beginning and he didn't want to.
> Please look before you leap.  Make sure you see
> several machines and the software and the options
> you would like.  A pda is much more than a glorified
> gps device.  Heck, you can see movies on them these
> days, play games, keep track of your car
> maintenance, learn a new language, count calories,
> track your credit cards and checkbook with money and
> sync with your computer, I could go on.  Take
> pictures.  Have a photo album, listen to and read
> books, listen to music.  As you can see I am a hard
> core user.  I used to be a programmer and now I am
> at home and I miss it terribly.  I want people to
> get the most (and the best) for their money.  Happy
> hunting!  Ferreteer

Subject field