[GeoStL] Re: just idle complaining

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:04:03 -0500

TTL (Time to Live) on rest stop caches seems to always be low.. I'm not sure
what it is.. I know there is one in Nebraska that has been replaced many times
over because people happen to find it and plunder. I think that most rest areas
have a small patch of woods and people tend to wander in those woods. It could
be well hidden when you placed it but somewhere along the way, someone was not
as careful to replace it and it ends up being in the wide open. I know I have
spotted caches long before I was near them simply because of careless cachers.

Not to say that happened here by any means.. It's just another element that
compounds that high probability that rewt stop caches will get found quicker
than a park cache.

I was and am still suprised that your bookcrossing cache has lasted this long.
It's in a very obvious spot and I really thought the first time I found it, it
would have not lasted a month.. But.. It's still there.. If it was a rest area,
it would have been gone a long time ago..

Just my theory on rest stop caches. They seem to come up missing a lot.

Mike