[GeoStL] Re: Web question for my free garmin maps site

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 08:07:30 -0600

-

If the date text were in a file itself, then couldn't both pages load it the
same way as loading a common graphic by directly referencing the URL for
thatfile? I am not an HTML guru, but it seems like it could be done that way
without scripting.

Mike Griffin wrote: - Jim, there are a couple of ways to accomplish this.
Oneway is to do some screen scraping to get the latest date. Another way
would be to run a script such as PHP or Perl to automatically update the
HTMLeach time you upload to GPS Depot. Either way, you will need to program
ascript file. See... http://www.tgreer.com/class_http_php.html[1] on screen
scraping to get the date. Once you have it in variable format, you can
updateyour page with the date variable. Mike ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>[2] To:
<geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[3]Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 1:22 PM
Subject:[GeoStL] Web question for my free garmin maps site - On my site
(there are now installers for Windows and Mac):
http://webpages.charter.net/jbensman/Maps.htm[4] I have when the mapset was
last updated. The maps are hosted at www.gpsfiledepot.com[5] When I update
the mapsets there, the page for the mapset
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/[6] has a line Last Updated:
November 15th, 2008 9:11pm What I want to do is to be able to stick some
codeon my webpage that will read that line on gpdfiledepot and put it on my
webpage. That way my website would have the correct date of the files
withoutme having to edit the html and ftp the file to my website. If that is
possible, would someone be willing to write the code to do it for me? Now
that I have learned how to make installers (and can do it with a couple
clicks of the mouse), to get the most up to date versions of my maps, all
youhave to do is go to my website, click on the link, run the installer and
the new version will be on the computer in a couple of minutes. So I plan to
update the installers much more often and don't want to have to change my
webpage each time I do it. Thanks Jim Bensman "Nature Bats Last"

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.tgreer.com/class_http_php.html
   2 mailto:junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx
   3 mailto:geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx