[GeoStL] Re: Suggestions needed for DC trip

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:41:02 -0400

-
We just now returned to our hotel in Virginia after a Washington DC
tourist/recon mission tonight.

We didn't stop to cache; no where to park. Most  of the parking areas were
not only blocked off but near the White House  was a policeman/armed someone
about every 50 feet. The pedestrian area was closed.  (We wondered if the
President/VP was coming/going -- since we could see a small procession
leaving the area behind us, and when we made the third loop the police were
gone and the area was open to pedestrians.)

ANYWAY ..we just drove around DC to get a feel for things for when we do do
the tourist thing next week. We had planned on going this weekend, but it's
the Cherry Blossom Festival and we're thinking Manassas might be more our
style instead.

I ran a pocket query for 500 caches within DC and it returned 70 caches.
And, yes, looks like mostly virtuals of places you might be visiting or near
anyway.  Although, some look more complicated than others. I was going to
make a simple copy and paste page of cache names, waypoints and what is
needed in order to log each one. Normally we work off the laptop, but
parking appears to be at a premium and once out of the car, we'll be out for
a while. Although, we were talking about being real tourists and trying to
get a  bus or trolley tour.

And, it just so happens Kyd and I are going into Baltimore tomorrow (about
an hour and forty minutes from where we are in Virginia) to the
Aquarium/Inner Harbor Area and I was just starting to look at caches in the
area.  Do you know what area you're heading too? If so, I'll try and take a
look around.

Gettysburg is on my "wish list" -- maybe this weekend. (We're here until
next weekend) I'll report back on that too.  Although ..  Jamestown is
having the 400 year celebration.

Hey --  you could be our new east-coast "RGS" lol.  For a while every time
we'd head out of town, within a few months Rich was following along behind
us and in some cases signing logs not to far behind us.

Nancy