[GeoStL] Stuff in general & thoughts.

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 17:09:09 -0600

-
This group IS *mainly* a geocaching related newsgroup. As a result of friendships or other commonalities that develop from geocaching, folks start to share things that are not 100% related to navigating to a trinket box in the woods. A joke, an interesting link, stupid banter that is just about to drive me nuts, problems, family stuff all gets thrown into the mix and shared with friends. In the meantime an "extended family" bond develops between group members. Some folks probably talk and share more with us than with their regular families for what ever reason. That is sort of the way it generally goes. If something were to go seriously wrong with someone of the group i am sure that there are a handful of folks that will do *whatever it takes* to help get it fixed. I know it is so. BUT it is still irritating and nearly out of control as has been mentioned. I filter some folks to the trash at times. Nothing wrong with that. I have a limit of 500 or so mails a day. After that i overload and start mass deleting large chunks of mail at a time.

NGR: (Non Geocaching Related) I am still waiting to see that come around and used more frequently. That gives a heads up no readers to skip if not interested. If a few more experienced folks start and do it, and occasionally mention subject line changes (as was done yesterday) , Off Topic responses & "me too" posts i think all the rest things will generally fall in line. I have been wanting to post the general guidelines and other newsgroup tips about once a week too. I dont think that would hurt much. I may start some time when i remember it.

gln

Looking for the asbestos suit and heading for the bunker. Knock on the door when its safe to come out. :-)
Glenn
St. Louis, Mo