[GeoStL] Need Plan B RE: Re: New Year Day's cache hunt

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 17:14:21 -0600

Barry, I wished you would have honked or yelled for me when you left your
card on my car.  I was not far away.  I could not figure out how to access
the place.  I ended up giving up.

MDC's map is significantly different than what is marked on the ground.  It
shows Valley Drive as the Northern edge of the property but it turns North
and the Map shows it keeps going SouthWest.  You run into private property.
But that was not the biggest problem!

While the map shows they own everything South of the road, on the South side
they have a 50 foot wide corridor marked (basically it is the size of the
parking area).  They have signs on both sides saying end of public use area.
So I decided to try to head up that way.  The problem was the creek was too
high too cross anywhere in the 50 foot wide corridor.  I was hiking in my
scandals yesterday and could have crossed no problem, but not today.  They
water was over the tops of my boots.  If I had known this I would have
brought my Tevas and neoprene socks.  So I had no good way to cross the
creek.  Even if I was able to cross, it did not appear to be a good way to
get up.  It would appear to be close to a sheer cliff.

I walked down the road to where Valley Drive headed north seeing if there
was a way to access it.  I did not see anything and there was a house and
private property past where Valley Drive went North.  So that did not seem
to be a way to get in.

So then I looked at your waypoints for the old way.  The problem is the
coordinates to the old parking area are no longer there and I had no idea
where the old staring spot is.  I did not see how I could get to the first
way point on the cache page.  So I gave up.

If MDC did not have signs saying end of public use area, I would have
followed the creek until I could cross and then headed up the first valley.
But with all the trespassing talk on the cache page, I did not want to do
that.

I would say someone needs to talk to MDC to figure out why the map shows it
MDC and the signs show end of public use area.  I would guess using the old
parking lot would be the way to go in the meantime if they still have the
easement.

Call me if you have questions.

Do you have waypoints for the neat spots?

Jim Bensman

1802 Main Street

Alton, IL 62002-4724

(618) 463-0714