[GeoStL] NFR (not food related) Re: Geocaching Ethics Question

  • From: "cunning linguist" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:56:30 -0400

-
 Mike's comment, "I guess it was up to the individual" is the point i was =
trying to make. Do what feels right.
Nancy- it's not about the nu= mbers was a reference to the webpage of the
same name. I believe we all v= acillate on this. I know that I publicly
declare; that to me, the journey= is the reward, not the scorecard =E2=80=A6
yet, i have on occasion been = vested in a race with other chachers
comparingstats daily, all the while= we would be telling each other we're
notcompeting.

------ O= riginal Message ------
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Geocaching Ethics Question

-
Bac= k in the day, we use to have event caches that were set up for the
event.=
These were placed with all the rules as a regular cache. Therefore, = they
were .1 mile from the next cache, etc... We didn't want to leave= these as
permanent for various reasons. However, those that wanted t= o log them, did

so. Nothing wrong in logging a cache that you sign th= e log book for and as

long as it follows all the guidelines of GC.COM= =2E Well, people starting
abusing it. I believe Geowoodstock was the = first place where you could log
person walking around that had a GC= # on their shirt, car, ear rigns, etc..

It became even more abusive = across the country so we banned it.

Temp Caches were designed to = enhance an event. Not stack numbers. If I
walked 20 miles to get 30 t= emp caches, I felt I could log them. Others
wouldn't log unless they = had a GC number assigned to them. I guess it was
up
to the individual= =2E

Mike

Tired of Spam??
Here's your solution..
S= ee: http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4001050

"Guys, the red thingy = is heading for the green thingy. I think the green
thingy is us." - Guy, from Galaxy Quest...
From: "Robert Oelschlaeg= er"
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject= : [GeoStL] Re: Geocaching Ethics Question

-
"Adam, wouldn't y= ou like to have a taste of this luscious-looking
apple?"=3D

-- I'= m sure the story went something like that.
I agree with Kevin. I've b= een deleting this thread when it popped up
once=3D
,
twice and th= en a third time.

The TBs weren't in the caches, they can't be log= ged as having been there
(unless your name is Foo Foo the Snoo).
=
That's my 2=3DA2 worth.

It's a shame that they went all that = distance and can only log having
visited a virtual cache, but that's = what happens sometimes :-(

Bob (aka roelsch)

On 3/16/07, = kolaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

= >-
>If It was me, I log them all in the v-cache and then log = them all out.
>That
>the only cache you did. Just my thou= ght. You just have to hate those
tr=3D
ips
>where you can't g= et your geocaching in, dont ya? :) Kevin K-TEAM
>----- Original M= essage -----

trade,=3D
or
>at= least get them some mileage. The geocaching turned out to be a big
&g= t; disappointment. We visited four countries and travelled over 4000
naut= i=3D
cal
>miles over fourteen days, and in all that time we w= ere only able to
log=3D

>one
>virtual cache. The loca= tiions of the caches in relation to our ports
of=3D

>call >just weren't conducive to geocaching. (As a side note, we substitut=
ed t=3D
he
>time we would have spent looking for caches with = time spent looking
for=3D

>our
>luggage. The airlines= lost it and it didn't catch up with us until day
>nine
>= of the cruise.)
>
>My question is this.... Would it be acc= eptable to log the bugs and
coin=3D
>in
>and out of= the cache nearest to our ports of call so that they can get
>cre= ditfor the miles traveled even though I did not find the caches. In
&= gt; some
>cases the closest I got to a cache was 20 or 30 miles. = Naturally I
woul=3D
>log
>these as a note and would= not claim a find for myself.
>
>Let me know what you thin= k.
>Mark
>Sniper1
>

>____________=
___________________________________________________________=3D
_
= >AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's fr= ee

= >****************************************
>For List Info or T= o make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from
th=3D
is
>= list, click -----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching
>M= issouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw
>=

th=3D
is
>list, click -----> http://www.freelist= s.org/list/geocaching
>Missouri Caches Scheduled to be Archived h= ttp://tinyurl.com/87cqw

=3D

thi=3D
list, click -----> http://ww= w.freelists.org/list/geocaching =3D

Missouri Caches Scheduled to = be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

For List Info or To make _ANY_ chang= es, including unsubscribing from this